Conventional wisdom has it that no one hires during the holidays. While most of us would agree that hiring certainly slows down during the period between Thanksgiving and the New Year, work does not come to a complete halt. In fact, some people argue that the holidays is a great time to look for a job. Here are 7 reasons to consider:
- Employers often look to fill positions before the end of the year so people can start in early January, so don’t let up now.
- Since things are slower at work, you’ll have more time to network, update your career documents, and really think about next steps in your career.
- Networking! You’ll have an opportunity to meet new people at holiday gatherings and expand your network of potential contacts.
- You’ll have less competition since others are off and focused on their personal and family activities.
- If you take a temporary holiday job, it may turn into a permanent one.
- You can take advantage of holiday sales to freshen up your job hunting wardrobe.
- You can send holiday cards to your network, people you’ve interviewed with, and others to stay on their radar screens. Be sure to add a personal note.