Possible to reduce survivor annuity?

Answer Question

I have been retired under CSRS for 10 years. Is it possible to reduce my survivor annuity from full to partial?

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 1, Answers: 0)
Asked on April 23, 2018 2:03 pm


Private answer

Unfortunately, the simple answer is no. This is because a retiree may request, in writing, to change only a current spouse survivor annuity election no later than 18 months after the commencing date of annuity if the retiree is changing his or her election not to provide a survivor annuity for his or her spouse at retirement or is increasing a less than maximum survivor annuity elected at retirement for his or her spouse. The retiree may not reduce the survivor benefit for his or her current spouse. More detailed information on this topic can be found on page 16 at the following link: https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/publications-forms/csrsfers-handbook/c052.pdf

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 586)
Answered on April 23, 2018 3:12 pm