Court ordered benefits on a deceased former spouse

I retired from federal serviced in January. My former spouse died in 2005, 13 years before I retired. I have sent in copies of his death certificate 3 times. They are still taking out for his court ordered apportionment. How do I get that court order cancelled? I cannot seem to get them to respond back.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 1, Answers: 1)
Asked on August 27, 2018 8:55 pm
Private answer

Donna, I can certainly appreciate your frustration especially since this is something that never should have happened. Here are some suggestions to get your situation rectified. 1) I realize you have already sent certified copies of the death certificate to OPM, however, it might not have made it to Court Ordered Benefits Branch so try one more time sending one directly to the correct branch along with a letter explaining that your former spouse died in 2005 and you retired in January 2018 and they have been erroneously taking out the apportionment along with a copy of the court order. Here is the correct address: OPM, Court Ordered Benefits Branch, P.O. Box 17, Washington, DC 20044-0017
2) Try calling the OPM Court Ordered Benefits Branch at 202-606-0222. Getting through to OPM might not be easy, but keep trying to get through until you reach a real person. Leaving messages usually doesn’t produce anything. 3) If that does not work, by all means, contact one of your elected lawmakers. They usually fix things within a week of a Congressional inquiry. Please let me know how this goes and good luck!

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 453)
Answered on August 28, 2018 2:27 pm

I think I am on the right track now. Thanks. As a coincidence, an hour after I mailed the letter I got a phone call back. haha

( at August 28, 2018 8:06 pm)
Private answer

Only an hour! Outstanding and again good luck in getting this cleared up. We are always here to help if we can.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 453)
Answered on August 28, 2018 8:24 pm