How do I get credit for past civil service not on my record?

Answer Question

I am in FERS and am planning to retire next year. In a review of my OPF, I noticed that several documents had been excluded, related to seven years of civil service in a different job. I left that job and received a refund. Is there a way for me to get credit for that past service for my current retirement?

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 2, Answers: 0)
Asked on May 15, 2017 4:23 pm


Private answer

Under the FERS retirement system, in order for previously covered work to count towards both retirement eligibility and computation, there must be funds in the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund. IF you took a refund when you left, you must replace that money, with interest, otherwise, it will only count towards retirement eligibility and not in the computation. You need to complete SF-3108, Application to Make Service Credit Payment. Here is a link to that form: You should complete the form and send it to your servicing human resources office. They will complete the back portion of the form and forward it to the Office of Personnel Management. OPM will respond back to you with a statement of service and the total owed, including interest. You can either make payments to OPM or write a check for the entire amount and then this time will count in the calculation of your retirement in addition to eligibility.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 586)
Answered on May 15, 2017 7:12 pm