Deferred Annuity (Separation from Federal Service— Resignation)

Answer Question

At age 45 and with 14 years and 5 months of federal service I separated from my federal civilian position. The separation was a forced one in that I was charged with misconduct. However, in a legal settlement, I prevailed in having my SF-50 form modified to indicate that I resigned my post due to personal reasons. In this particular case, am I eligible for a deferred annuity when I reach the MRA?

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 1, Answers: 0)
Asked on May 1, 2019 3:32 pm


Private answer

Yes, you would be eligible for a deferred annuity at your Minimum Retirement Age. If you decide to draw against this benefit at your MRA, it will be penalized 5% for every year or 5/12 of 1% for every month you are under age 62. If you defer your annuity to age 62, there is no age penalty. With a deferred annuity, you will not be eligible to reinstate your FEHB or FEGLI nor will you receive credit for any of your unused sick leave.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 590)
Answered on May 1, 2019 3:44 pm