Do I qualify for service credit toward SCD Leave?


I am a medically retired disabled vet after 12 years of service. I began working for the Federal Gov in Jul 2018. My DD214 states Retirement, Chap 4, Separation Code SEJ. I am being told I do not qualify to use my Active time toward my SCD leave date. I did not complete 20 years so I do not receive a retirement check, the only compensation I receive if from the VA for 70 Disability Pay.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 1, Answers: 0)
Asked on December 13, 2018 8:02 pm
Private answer

I cannot find the code you listed above however I did find SFJ – Permanent Disability – Retired. Based on that code and Guide to Processing Personnel Actions, I have found the following information. After reading the what is below and based on your specific situation, you need to further discuss with your HRO. Uniformed Service. For non-retired members of a uniformed service*, full credit for active military service** performed under honorable conditions is given for annual leave accrual purposes.
For retired members of a uniformed servivce***, annual leave accrual credit is given only for:
Actual service during a war declared by Congress (includes World War II covering the period December 7, 1941, to April 28, 1952) or while participating in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge is authorized. (See Vets Guide — War Service Creditable for Veterans Preference (external link).)
All active duty when retirement was based on a disability received as a direct result of armed conflict or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the line of duty during a period of war as defined in 38 U.S.C. 101 and 1101. “Period of war” includes World War II, the Korean conflict, Vietnam era, the Persian Gulf War, or the period beginning on the date of any future declaration of war by the Congress and ending on the date prescribed by Presidential proclamation or concurrent resolution of the Congress.
*Per 5 U.S.C. 2101(3), the uniformed services consist of the Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard), the commissioned corps of the Public Health Service, and the commissioned corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
** Includes service as a cadet at the United States Military Academy, United States Air Force Academy, or United States Coast Guard Academy; or service as a midshipman at the United States Naval Academy. See full definitions at 5 U.S.C. 8331(13) and 5 U.S.C. 8401(31).
***Per 5 U.S.C. 3501(a)(2), a retired member of a uniformed service is a member or former member of a uniformed service who is entitled, under statute, to retired, retirement, or retainer pay on account of his service as such a member. Per 5 U.S.C. 5534a, employees appointed on or after October 17, 2006 while on terminal leave pending retirement from the uniformed service are treated as retired members of a uniformed service for the purposes of annual leave accrual credit.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 605)
Answered on December 14, 2018 4:23 pm