Does VA pay during medical residency count as federal service?

I was a medical resident from 1994-1997. My resident pay (stipend) was from the VA for a portion of my residency. I now work for the VA. Does the VA pay I received during my residency count as creditable service?

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 2, Answers: 1)
Asked on March 29, 2018 11:12 pm
Private answer

Any service were you paid only into FICA can become creditable for retirement purposes if a deposit is made to the retirement fund. However, under FERS, the current rules state that the deposit is only permitted for service prior to 1989. At this time, you are unable to make a deposit for your 1994-1997 residency. There is a current bill before Congress to change that rule. The Federal Retirement Fairness Act (H.R. 5389) was introduced by Congressman Derek Kilmer which would permit making deposits which would then allow service after 1988 to become creditable for retirement purposes.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 452)
Answered on March 30, 2018 2:47 pm

Thanks so much Elaine. I was not aware of the new bill in Congress. Any chance FERS contributions were made from my pay? I don’t recall and have not been able to get documentation thus far.

( at March 30, 2018 2:57 pm)
Private answer

Having worked for the VA for 10 years, I would say there is no chance of retirement contributions having been taken out, sorry. I just saw that bill myself yesterday. It will be interesting to see if they finally change that rule.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 452)
Answered on March 30, 2018 3:10 pm