Doing Away With FERS Supplement at Retirement?

If the Gov’t does away with the FERS supplement as a way to save money, does this affect all FERS or just new hires? I have 32 yrs on and doesn’t seem fair – this was promised as part of our retirement.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 2, Answers: 0)
Asked on March 29, 2018 1:31 am
Private answer

Nancy, I feel your pain as I am in the same ‘Ark’. If I remember correctly this benefit was not a promise but a benefit available to current retirees. Our fingers are crossed together as we pray we do not get in Trump’s way.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 6)
Answered on March 29, 2018 1:57 am
Private answer

At the current time this is not an issue and if a law is passed, we have no way to no how it would be implemented. I have seen proposals to keep it for retirees in the special provision category which includes law enforcement officers, ATCs, Firefighters, etc, and I have seen some laws such as FERS RAE which only applies to new hires. I know this is not comforting, but it is a matter of wait and see IF anything passes. In the meantime, let your congressional representatives hear from you!

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 353)
Answered on March 29, 2018 2:24 pm

Elaine, do you know where I could find a list that tells which jobs fall under the special provision category. Thank-you, Vic

( at March 29, 2018 2:52 pm)
Private answer

Chapter 46 of the CSRS FERS Handbook provides the general listing of Law Enforcement Officers, Fire Fighters, Air Traffic Controllers, and Military Reserve Technicians. If you are asking for a list of any position covered within the grouping, I do not have, nor have I seen, such a list…it is by agency.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 353)
Answered on March 30, 2018 1:31 am