FERS Contributions on Returning to Federal Gov Job

Answer Question

I am a prior federal employee who is currently in the private sector. I am, however; looking at going back to the federal government to finish my career. When I was with the government previously, I contributed to FERS. The question I have is: Whatever happened to the FERS contribution I made when I was previously a Federal employee? Would I still have credit (monetary) for my previous time?

Also, I was in the federal service for less than 3-years. Would my sick-leave from then still be accrued for when I return back to federal service?

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 2, Answers: 1)
Asked on November 16, 2018 4:32 pm


Private answer

As long as you did not take a refund of your FERS will begin where you left off as if it were continuous service. Yes, your sick leave will carry forward. Please see the link for additional information on sick leave: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/leave-administration/fact-sheets/sick-leave-general-information/

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 586)
Answered on November 17, 2018 8:41 pm