FERS Supplement and early retirement with only 15 years

I met the requirement to retire early prior to 62 but only had 15 years experience am I eligible for the social security supplemental payment?

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 1, Answers: 0)
Asked on June 21, 2018 1:34 pm
Private answer
In order to qualify for the FERS Retiree Annuity Supplement you must retire under one of the following options: Voluntary at MRA with 30 or more years or age 60 with 20 or more years; Early Voluntary or Discontinued Service at any age with 25 or more years or age 50 with 20 or more years. Not knowing your full service history with only a total of 15 years, the FERS Retiree Supplement is not payable.
Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 356)
Answered on June 21, 2018 6:45 pm
Private answer

I has met the requirement to retire (VERA) early prior to 62 and has 20 years experience but hasn’t reached MRA of 56 Yrs old yet. Am I eligible for the social security supplemental payment? If yes when will I’ll start to receive it? Is it automatically or How do i apply for it?

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 1)
Answered on July 3, 2018 2:12 am
Private answer

In order to be eligible for a Voluntary Early Retirement Authority, VERA, you must be at least age 50 with 20 or more years of creditable service or any age with at least 25 years of creditable service. However, to qualify for the FERS Retiree Annuity Supplement, you must retire on one of the retirement options that pays the supplement, and VERA is one of them, yet you need to be your MRA for the supplement to be effective. So, one is paid right away and the other will be paid at a later date. When your retirement was finalized and you received your blue book from OPM, it should have stated when your supplement was to commence and how much it would be. You need not apply, it should be in OPM’s computer program to begin once you reach your MRA.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 356)
Answered on July 3, 2018 12:49 pm