If canceled my FEGLI, can I get it back?

I canceled the FEGLI because it was recommended to get an outside life insurance plan. BIG MISTAKE!!! Can I enroll back to FEGLI?? If so, how can I do it?

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 1, Answers: 0)
Asked on October 29, 2018 8:55 pm
Private answer

There are three way in which you can enroll in FEGLI. 1) If there is any open season, which is very rare. 2) If you have a qualifying life event which includes marriage, divorce, death of a spouse, or acquisition of a child*. And 3) providing medical information. The following is taken from the FEGLI Handbook: “As long as at least one year has passed since the effective date of your last waiver of life insurance coverage, you may provide satisfactory medical information at your own expense using the Request for Insurance (SF 2822). The SF 2822 is available only on the FEGLI website. You can download the form at http://www.opm.gov/life. You and your agency must complete part of the form. Then you take the form to your physician or other medical professional. He or she will examine you, complete the rest of the form, and send the form to the Office of Federal Employees’ Group Life Insurance (OFEGLI). If OFEGLI approves your request, you will automatically get Basic insurance the first day you are in a pay and duty status (unless you already have Basic). You will have 60 days from the approval date to elect Option A and/or elect Option B or increase your Option B multiples (up to a total of 5) by completing a Life Insurance Election (SF 2817) and submitting it to your human resources office.”

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 473)
Answered on October 29, 2018 10:24 pm