Is there a maximum reduction to my Social Security under CSRS?

I’m an LEO retiree at age 56 1/2 with 30 years of service with 40 quarters social security. My actual LEO and military service totaled 24 years. Is there a maximum percentage reduction to my social security benefit due to my CSRS retirement benefit? What affect do my post retirement social security wages have on the reduction computation?

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 1, Answers: 0)
Asked on October 29, 2018 8:58 pm
Private answer

Due to the Windfall Elimination Provision, the computation used for those who have a pension from work not covered by Social Security, such as CSRS, will be different than the regular social security computation. For those with less than 20 years of substantial social security earnings, the most WEP can reduce your Social Security benefit is by half. For those with 30 or more substantial years of earnings, the WEP formula no longer applies. The WEP will be applied to your Social Security benefit at the time you apply meaning not just on the work you had prior to entering federal service under CSRS. Here is the publication from SSA on WEP: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 399)
Answered on October 29, 2018 10:12 pm
Private answer

Retired under rif due to VA realignment after 25 plus 2 years, 11 months military, unable to obtain another federal job so worked under SS 19 years, can military years be waived and only draw benefits under SSA for those years. I am full retirement age and suffer from chronic medical issues and waited too long to apply for disability

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 3)
Answered on February 4, 2019 1:33 pm
Private answer

Edna, you have not provided enough information to answer your questions. You say “retired under RIF.” Are you collecting a federal pension? Are you CSRS or FERS? Did you make a military service deposit for that time to count towards your federal retirement? When you say you are full retirement age, are you indicating full retirement age for Social Security purposes?

Blocked by moderator
Answered on February 4, 2019 3:06 pm
Private answer

Yes a csrs pension reduced since eligibility because of the RIF and SS at 66. Eligible for survivor benefits but forfeit $1700 monthly because of GOP and $438 for WEP both equal to more than benefits received because of Congressional Legislation to ensure my former spouse and myself worked for ZERO all those years. I just see it as payback for asking for some level of equality.

Blocked by moderator
Answered on February 4, 2019 5:09 pm
Private answer
Yes a csrs pension reduced since eligibility because of the RIF and SS at 66. Eligible for survivor benefits but forfeit $1700 monthly because of GOP and $438 for WEP both equal to more than benefits received because of Congressional Legislation to ensure my former spouse and myself worked for ZERO all those years. I just see it as payback for asking for some level of equality.
Blocked by moderator
Answered on February 4, 2019 5:09 pm
Private answer

Edna, if you have a CSRS Discontinued Service annuity and retired under the age of 55, your annuity was reduced 2% for every full year you were under the age of 55, a permanent reduction for life. However, this entitled you to a pension earlier than normal. Since you are also eligible for a Social Security benefit from work outside the government, there is a law called the Windfall Elimination Provision which states a different formula is used in calculating your Social Security. If you have at least 10 but less than 20 years of Social Security substantial earnings, you receive the maximum reduction in your Social Security, which for the year 2019 could be no more than $463 per month. Please see the following link for detailed information on the WEP: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf The Government Pension Offset law is another law that applies to you since you are receiving a CSRS pension. This law says you can collect any Social Security based on your own work record but if entitled to a spousal or widow’s benefit, GPO will reduce your SSA entitlement by two-thirds of your government pension. More detailed information can be found at https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10007.pdf You should call the Social Security Administration 1-800-772-1213 and make an appointment to discuss your options and they will have the details specific to your situation.

Blocked by moderator
Answered on February 4, 2019 6:13 pm