Life Event not Reported

A Life Event, affecting my FEGLI was not reported for 2 years, which technically resulted in my “overpayment” into the plan. Would I be entitled to a refund for those 2 years? Thank you.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 1, Answers: 1)
Asked on October 31, 2017 2:34 pm
Private answer

Without more specific information I am unable to answer your question. However, 5 CFR 870.505(b) states “(b) A cancellation of Optional insurance becomes effective, and Optional insurance stops, at the end of the pay period in which the waiver is properly filed. Exception: if Option C is cancelled because there are no eligible family members, the effective date is retroactive to the end of the pay period in which there stopped being any eligible family members.”

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 379)
Answered on October 31, 2017 3:45 pm
Private answer

I’ve worked w/the fed gov (A), since 1988. In July 2014, I divorced and that same month, was hired at a different fed gov agency (B); in July 2016, I resigned from fed gov agency (B); in Oct 2016, I was “reinstated/rehired” at fed gov agency (A); in Aug 2017, I was informed (by HR) that my FEGLI was not set correctly. I realized THEN, that since I had not informed HR (fed gov agency B) of the “life event”, the FEGLI deductions being deducted from my earnings from July 2014-July 2016, was for “Family”. As of this date, fed gov agency (A) has only corrected my master record going back to Oct 2016, when I was “reinstated/rehired”, and I am awaiting to be compensated for the “overpayment”, because the FEGLI coding wasn’t officially corrected by HR, until Oct 2017. I’m planning to submit a request to correct the coding for the 2 years I was w/fed gov agency (B)…but, am receiving pushback from fed gov agency (A)…..

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 1, Answers: 1)
Answered on February 7, 2018 4:23 pm