Re: Separating before retirement eligibility: Is there paperwork I need to submit?


Thanks for the great article! If I retire before eligibility, is there some paperwork I need to submit that lets my agency know I have separated? And, would this cause them to send a final paycheck that includes my annual leave lump sum payment? Thank you so much!

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 1, Answers: 1)
Asked on August 14, 2019 7:19 pm
Private answer

If you wish to resign your federal position, you should submit proper notification to the agency via whatever method they require. If you are not retirement eligible but have at least 5 years of creditable civilian service and do not take a refund of your retirement contributions, you will be eligible for a deferred annuity in the future. Depending on the number of years of creditable service you have will determine when you can draw the deferred annuity without penalty with age 62 being the oldest. With a deferred annuity you are not eligible for FEHB or FEGLI upon retirement and your annuity will not include any unused sick leave you had when you resigned. Anyone leaving federal service, by either resigning or retiring are automatically paid out the unused annual leave. Depending on the agency it might be in your last check or in a check after that.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 605)
Answered on August 14, 2019 8:35 pm

Thanks so much for this!

( at August 15, 2019 12:20 am)