Retirement Calculation for resigned/reinstated Air Traffic Controller?


I resigned from federal service with 23 years of ATC service in the FAA… not yet 50 years old, so I was not yet eligible for retirement. Long story short… Both parents needed extensive medical care, and family comes first. Now I have the chance to work again. What kind of federal employment will allow me to “recapture” my ATC retirement — 1.7 times high 3 and social security supplement?

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 1, Answers: 0)
Asked on August 14, 2019 7:18 pm
Private answer

You may return to federal service in any position for which you qualify.
OPM regulations state the employee is not required to separate from a position as an air traffic controller to retire under the special provisions. Once an employee meets the minimum service requirement (that is, 20 or 25 years), he or she may exercise the right to retire under the special provisions even if the employee is no longer covered by these provisions at the time of retirement. What this means is you could return to any position and once you reach age 50, you would be eligible to retire as an ATC. They would use the high-3 for the highest rate of pay throughout your career and your total service with the computation being 1.7% x 20 and 1% for all years over 20. All this is assuming you did not take a refund of your retirement contributions when you left federal service.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 605)
Answered on August 14, 2019 8:45 pm