Transfers between Permanent and Temporary Positions

Is there a restriction on transferring between a permanent position, a temporary one, and then back to a different permanent position? I am thinking of transferring from my current permanent job to a temporary job with a different agency for around 3 months, then accepting a permanent job with another different agency.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 2, Answers: 1)
Asked on April 26, 2018 12:42 am
Private answer

No, there is no restriction and as stated in 5 CFR 842.105 you would retain your FERS retirement coverage while servicing in this 3-month temporary position. “When an employee who is covered by FERS moves to a position listed as one of the above regulatory exclusions without a break in service or after a separation of 3 days or less, his or her FERS coverage continues. This exception does not apply to a person who moves into a position excluded by law (listed in paragraph B of this section). When a FERS annuitant is reemployed, he or she is also covered by FERS unless employed on an intermittent basis.”
However, there is no guarantee that while serving in this 3-month temporary position, even though you have retirement coverage, that you will be eligible to apply for this new permanent position. You will need to read the vacancy announcement carefully to be sure it is not limited to current permanent employees only or it might place you in a different selection category when referrals are sent to the selecting official.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 356)
Answered on April 27, 2018 3:46 pm
Private answer

Ok, thanks. The position is open to the public/recent grads and I have 10 point veteran status so I do not think my current federal status should affect my eligibility or referral category.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 2, Answers: 1)
Answered on April 27, 2018 9:27 pm
Private answer
When you are in the temporary position it certainly could so just be aware. And veterans preference does not apply to appointments under merit promotion procedures or internal agency actions such as promotions, transfers, reassignments and reinstatements,
Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 356)
Answered on April 27, 2018 9:31 pm