What happens if I go on extended leave for military service?

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 12, Answers: 18)
Asked on August 16, 2016 9:37 pm
Private answer

While on duty with the uniformed services, the agency carries the employee on leave without pay unless the employee requests separation. A separation under these circumstances does not affect restoration rights.

Under 5 U.S.C. 5538, agencies must make up the difference in pay between regular pay for their employees and the typically lower military pay they receive when on active duty as activated Reservists or National Guard members.

Each fiscal year, employees under permanent appointment are entitled to 15 calendar days of military leave, with pay, to perform active duty as a member of a Reserve component.

Part-time employees are entitled to military leave pro-rated according to the tour of duty, for example, an employee who works 20 hours a week earns seven days of military leave.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 12, Answers: 18)
Answered on August 16, 2016 9:38 pm

May I ask a question?
I am a civilian/FERS employee and a military reservist. I am about to go on a 90-day military tour (unless I am mistaken, not contingency), and have only a handful of regular annual leave days remaining, so I am trying to determine how best to distribute my paid days of military and annual leave to maximize my pay, my TSP matching, and my FEHB benefits (which I will keep, so my family can use their health benefits without disruption/confusion). With regard to pay, I plan to use paid leave before and after federal holidays. With regard to TSP matching, I plan to allocate enough to my military TSP, so I can show it to my civilian HR and get matching after-the-fact. And with regard to FEHB, can I pay back (catch up) for the premiums after returning to my civilian position. Is there anything else that I might be missing?

( at October 27, 2018 8:34 am)