Working part time, 20/20 work comp. what is sick leave policy?

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 1, Answers: 1)
Asked on May 21, 2019 2:25 pm
Private answer

It depends on what your tour of duty is listed on your SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action. If you agency brought you back as a PT, Parttime employee as stated on your SF-50, your sick and annual leave are prorated and you only earn half of what a full time person earns.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 452)
Answered on May 21, 2019 2:51 pm
Private answer

Yes, understand AL and SL is earned prorated. If I need to take a day off, do I take 4 hrs or 8hrs? Job offer is 4hrs a day work, 4 hrs lwop OWCP benefit.

Blocked by moderator
Posted by (Questions: 1, Answers: 1)
Answered on May 29, 2019 1:42 am
Private answer
You have stated that AL and SL are prorated yet you state 4 hrs LWOP for OWCP…sorry but that does not add up since you do not earn prorated leave if on a full time tour of duty. Having said that, AL and SL accrual changes when you have excess LWOP. Either you have a part time tour of duty and work 4 hours per day and are then compensated by OWCP for the other portion of your normal tour of duty OR you are on a full-time schedule only working 4 hours per day and on LWOP for four hours and are compensated for the LWOP from OWCP. IF you are on a part time schedule, you would only be charged for leave for whatever your scheduled tour of duty is listed on your SF-50 and even if you are on a full time schedule, you will only be charged for whatever your stated work schedule is listed by your physician.
Blocked by moderator
Answered on May 29, 2019 2:40 pm

So confused….:) I was released to go back to work 20 hrs a week, 4 hr days. OWCP states this is permanent and I will not see an 8 hr day, 40 hr work week. My place of employment gave me a written job offer 7am to 11am. I work 4 hrs a day and am paid by OWCP for the other 4 hrs a day. When I take a day off, I only use 4 hrs for annual leave and I am paid 4 hrs by OWCP.
I had to use sick leave for an unrelated procedure. I put in for 4 hrs sick leave because the procedure was during my work hours. My employment said I needed to put in for a full 8 hrs sick leave. It doesn’t make sense to me. When I’ve taken a full week of vacation, I’ve put in only for 20 hrs of annual leave and I am compensated for the other 20 by OWCP. Not sure why I am being required to use my sick leave out of my schedule.

( at May 29, 2019 8:00 pm)
Private answer

Let’s see if I can make this easier to understand. Based on your last response, you are now on a formal part-time tour of duty. Because you were a full-time employee at the time of your injury, you still receive payment as a full-time employee, half from the agency and half from OWCP, but on paper you are no longer a full-time employee. Now let’s pretend there is no OWCP involved and when you were first hired, they hired as a part time person working 4 hours per day 5 days per week. Under that work schedule, if you needed to take a day off, you would only be charged 4 hours AL or SL. Your agency cannot charge you 8 hours of leave just because you are receiving compensation for the other half of the day as you are on a formal part-time tour of duty. And, if they tried to do that, you would be overpaid as you are still receiving the other half from OWCP. I really hope this is clearer.

Blocked by moderator
Answered on May 29, 2019 9:13 pm

Yes, super clear. Tried to explain that to supervisor. They just wouldn’t have it. They claim since I am taking SL for something unrelated, I should not get benefit either. Demanded I take 8 hrs SL. Union is filing a grievance. Union also tried to explain that I am to work during my schedule and that I receive the compensation 20 hrs a week whether I work, take annual or need to take sick leave. Thank you for clarifying.

( at May 29, 2019 9:35 pm)